Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How Dogs and Babies are Alike

After being a mother for almost a year and a dog owner for a little over a year, I've had plenty of experience to compare the two responsibilities, Mother vs. Pet Parent. While I thoroughly enjoy one of these two responsibilities (I'll let you guess which one...), I've come to the conclusion that they are similar in some ways. I give you the following examples....

  • Both babies and dogs follow you around everywhere...even to the bathroom.
  • Both babies and dogs make BIG stinks...
  • Balls are a favorite of babies and dogs....and apparently dads...
  • Babies and dogs are both obsessed with and slightly scared of the vacuum.
  • Babies and dogs both love dog food.
  • Slobbery kisses are in abundance with both babies and dogs.
  • Babies and dogs like to chew on/destroy stuff... Like halloween costumes or $500.00 polar ice machines used to wrap around your knee after you had surgery.....(I'll let you figure out who did what....)Babies and dogs are BOTH loved by JJ. (The same cannot be said of me, I would throw myself in front of a bus for one and..well...notsomuch for the other...)
  • Both babies and dogs have some pretty cool tricks, including "Shake", "Sit", "Patty Cake", "Wave bye bye". (Again, I will let you guess who does what...)
  • The floors are kept clean by babies and dogs, they eat whatever random edible and unedible objects they find on the floor.
  • Babies and dogs love to be outside and cry when you take them inside. (I'm going for the frazzledMother look here....and pulling it off tremendously, might I add.)
  • Toilets are a great novelty to both babies and dogs. Can't seem to keep their noses or grubby hands out of them....
  • You will never feel so loved as in the mornings with both babies and dogs. They are SO excited to see you. "Hey! Its you again! I haven't seen you all night!"
Now I'm no expert on babies and dogs, I've only had both for about a year, so take my observations with a grain of salt. Who knows what similarities I'll find with another year's experience....

8 comments:

Heather said...

This is HILARIOUS Nato! I love it!!! I can totally relate to the dogs following you to the john. Both of our pups have to sit in on anything that happens in there. You make me laugh so hard! And btw, I think your Bridger Man is one of the most DARLING babelets I have EVER seen. Ever. :) Way to go Nato!

Laura said...

As your current advise dispensing cousin, rest assured that DOGS GET EASIER AS THEY GET OLDER. Children, however, get harder. That's the trade-off.

Darla said...

I don't have any babies yet, but I have 3 dog-babies and I love them OH SO MUCH! But there are times when I'm sitting on my throne, when I do NOT want to "shake" with any of my dogs. It's like, leave me alone, I don't bug you while you're out in the yard taking care of your business! ;) And as much as I love dogs, I have to say I think that Bridger is way cuter, and I'm sure his slobbery kisses are way better than any dog, ha ha.

Britt said...

LOL! I have had 4 of my own babies so I can understand the baby stuff. I am "doggy-sitting" right now and am starting to see the similarities as well. I am like you...not going to jump in front of anything for the dog! You need to come to JJ's high school reunion this summer so we can meet in person. You just seem so perfect for him! :)

Steph H said...

Ha ha! I love the way you write/think. Bridger's getting so BIG!! Holy cow! We've really got to play sometime...

youreprettytoo said...

And you didn;t even mention how they both like to play in the toilet!

Shelley Nicole said...

You have a whole entire cute little baby!!! Love it! You're an amazing woman! (I'm just now joining the real world again and trying to catch up on current events worldwide and with friends...the Disney Magic is like a deserted island/3rd world country) xoxo

Heather Matthews said...

I found your blog and thought you would like our website: www.MommyGiggles.com.

Mommy Giggles is a site where moms submit funny pictures to share with other moms to get a giggle out of. They can either be pictures of their kids or of other hilarious “mommy moments”.

I am contacting you to see if you have a funny picture that we could post – we would of course give you the credit, and also post your blog (if you want). There is a $25 Amazon Gift card drawing to everyone who submits a photo each month.

Hope you will get a “giggle” out of our site.

Warmest Regards,

Heather Matthews

Email Us A Picture - mommygiggles@comcast.net
Like Us On Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mommy-Giggles/180580521989697
Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/MommiGiggles

Nat & Me