Monday, June 21, 2010

Walgreens is not good for the soul

So my boys have been under the weather for the past few days. Unfortunately for my gag reflex, there's been a lot of snot in our house lately. Poor fellas. So, in an attempt to help them feel better, I made a trip to Walgreens to purchase 1. Robitussin 2. A boogie* sucker thingy. (* note: see funny joke about boogies at the end of this post)

My conversation with the checker went like this.
Walgreens lady: How are you today?
Me: Good, (turns out not for long) except the people at my house are sick. How are you?
After scanning the Robitussin, Walgreens lady: Good.......Are you 40?
Me: (What the? Do I look like I am 40?) Um no, I'm 27.
Walgreens lady: Oh....cuz I need to make sure you are old enough to buy this.
Me: Yep, I'm 27. Do you need to see ID?
Walgreens lady: No, I think I just need to ask.
Me: (Crazy lady...) Ok.
Walgreens lady: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you look like you are about 5 or 6 months pregnant.
Me: (Wow.....so....WRONG! Crazy Walgreens lady why would you ask that?) Um, no, ...no I'm not pregnant. (the audacity!) I actually just had a baby.
Walgreens lady: Oh well,...Congratulations! That is so great! Was it a boy or a girl...What did you name him? blah blah blah
Me: (I seriously want to punch you in the face right now...and I am not a violent person. Maybe a little hormonal, but not violent.)

There was no redemption for her after that point. The damage had been done. Note to self: never go back to Walgreens. Its not good for the self esteem.

The only thing that would make my 40 year old-6 month pregnant soul feel better at this point would be "nutty coconut" ice cream from Baskin Robbins. (that flavor deserves a post in itself!)

*How do you make a Kleanex dance?....Put a little boogie in it. :)

11 comments:

youreprettytoo said...

When she asked if you were 40, did you want to say, "No,you must be confusing me with my older sister who everyone thinks is my mother. Does she shop here too?" And what is this nutty coconut ice cream you speak of? I'm pretty sure it tastes better than the nailpolish remover ice cream I made you get last time we went to Baskin Robbins. I think it is time for another trip!

Holly said...

Oh shoot...that's Jason's store. :) Ok, not his actual store, but you know... I'll just remind Jason to never A. guess someone's age and B. guess if someone's pregnant! :)

Thelissa said...

Seriously... some people. Isn't it a cardinal rule that you never ask someone if they are pregnant, unless it is your very bestest friend and you are asking because you're pregnant and you just want to see if she is too...

I was literally on the way home from the hospital from having Joey. We stopped at Target so I could get some thank you notes so I could have them on hand. Anywho, I ran into my visiting teacher and she said to me... and I quote..."Oh my gosh are you ever going to have that baby?" Yeah. I let her know I had it three days ago. It is true I was still huge, but she felt dumb. Just sayin'.

Ryan and Rikke said...

I love this story - too funny! The best part is that in no way do you look older than what you are. If anything, I'm not positive you're old enough to be procreating...just a thought. And I don't understand the things that come out of people's mouths. Doesn't anyone filter what they say?

And thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to avoid Walgreens over the next few weeks/months while my body attempts to return to normal.

Tony and Ashley said...

That is too funny! As if you aren't already hormonal enough, like you need a crazy lady at Walgreens making you feel old and fat! P.S. You look great, definitely not pregnant and for sure not a day over 24! ;)

Anonymous said...

see... not so funny when it happens to you:) Maybe the "older curse" is over me and on to you!!! I can only hope...

Chels said...

Stupid trash Walgreen's lady. I will punch her in the face for you! Sheesh. You DO NOT look 40. No way. And I am sure you don't look like you're 6 months pregnant. She was just angry that she works at Walgreens...

Darla said...

Too funny! I can't believe the nerve of that woman! I saw pics on Wendy's blog from Kristen's shower, and you look fantastic Natalie! Hope the boys are feeling better!

emily mcd said...

Yowsas. Insert tact here.

Steph H said...

I loved the "I am not a violent person. Maybe a little hormonal, but not violent"... oh how you make me laugh. Thanks for so cleverly blogging about the funny things that happen in life. What other choice is there but to laugh at the crazies who get it oh so wrong, huh?

Cody and Wendy said...

Really?!? Come on people...why do complete strangers feel the need to comment. LAME! My favorite pregnant comment I received was a lady I worked with when I had Bentley, "I heard your're pregnant...CONGRATULATIONS!! I did notice you were getting a big chubby!" Ummm...out of all the adjectives out there to describe a pregnant lady, please let chubby not be one of them. I'm signing the Walgreens lady up for a serious respect classes. And by the way, you don't even look like you had a baby. She's on something for sure!

Nat & Me